Wednesday 26 May 2010

Vegbox cooking - using bits up

Picking up where I left off with the 'what I cooked from the vegbox' stuff, this was my final meal from the first vegbox - a simple stirfry using up asparagus stalks, mushrooms, onions and carrots.

I went off stirfries years ago - started to find them boring and thought them an appalling thing to do to nice vegetables.

Then, recently I saw some black rice noodles that seduced me with their exoticness, and I tried one out again. The noodles were great - purple in colour and very tasty, and the stirfry surprised me in just how yummy it could be.

Now, stirfries are still fairly boring to write about so I'll keep this short. All I want to say is 'Nuts!'. Just add some cashews, some peanuts, or something else with crunch, and suddenly a boring veg stirfry will seem magically elevated.

I couldn't find the peanuts I was hoping for in the shop the night I cooked the above, so I went for deepfried shallot and chilli to add a bit of crunch. Also helps to have fresh coriander and lime juice.

Quick and healthy and good for using bits up - the stirfry and I are friends again...

And if you have any tips to excitify your stir-fries, please do let me know!...

2 comments:

  1. my key is using leftover rice so it's not mushy. peanuts or cashews is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the nuts - I always add a handful or two of almonds to a stirfry. I also make egg fried rice if I have some veggies and rice to use, just sweet chilli and soy sauce.
    I also really like making curried fried noodles - I cook a couple of beaten eggs, omlette style, add veggies and then add softened rice noodles with a teaspoon or two of curry powder and cook for another 5 minutes till everything is cooked. Easy and yummy.
    I wonder where I can get black noodles. sounds great.

    ReplyDelete