Tuesday 8 March 2011

Happy Pancake Day!

I took baby to the doctors this morning and we found out she'd dropped off her percentile line. So the health visitor advised me to stuff her full of dairy and fat. Or something like that.

Accordingly, I went home via Tescos and picked up some double cream. Which I whipped and mixed with yoghurt and boiled raspberries to create a delicious pink fool.

Baby being baby, she was having none of it. Not even having seen my biceps nearly combust whipping with a manual whisk because the electric handheld thingy is bust. Not a fan of the old spoon-feeding.

However, later I was trying to give her pancakes and slipped a bit of the fool on that, and she lapped it up! Result. Full of cream now!

Anyway, the pancakes...
I've being feeling a little bit odd about eating eggs recently. I don't know, I guess it's just that all those times I pick up a pack in the supermarket and wonder how free range they really are has added up to a critical mass and now I don't really feel right eating them. So I seem to be cutting down. In aid of which I decided to try out a vegan pancake recipe.

And guess what? You don't need eggs to make a good pancake. Who knew? Yep, these don't have a whole load of flavour, but you want to drench them in lemon and sugar anyway, and the texture is just fine. So, good.

Vegan Pancakes


Mix : 2tbsps sunflower oil; 5tbsps water; 300ml soy milk; a few drops vanilla extract; and a tsp agave nectar

Add: 5oz plain flour; 2tsp baking powder; 1/2tsp salt; and 1tsp cinnamon

Whip very briefly together and let rest

Fry one ladleful at a time in a medium hot pan. Flip etc.

3 comments:

  1. She looks like she is having lots of fun with the pancakes regardless of whether they are going in her mouth or not!! Too cute.

    I have same problem with meat and thinking too much about where it came from, what has happened to it etc but due to testing a dietary change for my IBS I now HAVE to eat more protein which is a challenge.

    My friend had the same thing with baby dropping off the bottom of the weight chart. I think she had to cook all of her food in butter and give her lots of full fat dairy to get it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is a non-meat eater so would probably like this recipe.

    Happy blogoversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, pancakes! Enjoyed the metaphor scarf too. Laura x

    ReplyDelete