Thursday 28 April 2011

Blueberry Macaroon Things

I haven't done too much baking recently. I feel like I should probably prioritise sorting out 3 meals a day for me and the now-eating-solids-babe over cake, and that is quite enough work and kitchen mess most days.

However, this caught my eye and I happened to have just about the right ingredients and the baby was happily eating dirt off the floor or headbutting chair legs or something, so I seized the opportunity.

It's a bit of a Chinese whispers recipe now - originally from 101 Cookbooks' Heidi's new book, I saw a reinterpretation of it on Smitten Kitchen, then I've adapted it further to fit the contents of my kitchen.

Easy as 1-2-3 - check. Tastes like a kiss in the summer sun - check. Rustically pretty - check. My kind of cake/tart/thing.

I actually think blackberries or raspberries - something slightly tarter - would be better than the blueberries I went with, but otherwise I was pretty happy with this


Blueberry Macaroon Tart (adapted from Heidi Swanson)


Preheat oven to 180C/350F


Mix 1 cup wholemeal flour with 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and a generous pinch of salt.


Add 4tbsp (c.4oz) of butter, melted, and mix thoroughly.


Press mix firmly into base of a greased 7" square pan or equivalent and cook for c20 mins or until slightly golden/starting to brown.


Let the base cool slightly whilst you prepare the topping


Mix 2 egg whites with 1 cup desiccated coconut and 1/4 cup sugar


Scatter a cup of berries (blue/black/raspberries/whatever) over the base then use your fingers to drop the macaroon mixture around them so they are not all completely covered.


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the macaroon peaks are browning.


Scatter with 1/4 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts).


Cut into bars once cooled a little

No comments:

Post a Comment